How to guarantee information security in companies?
The digital transformation has changed the corporate world through modern methodologies, techniques, and tools, which facilitate the routine and processes of business in general. However, the internet carries risks of exposure to data, which requires investment in information security in companies.
As the information is stored in digital media, the action of malicious people or problems with software can lead to the loss of data that is important for the smooth running of the business.
Do you want to know more about the importance of ensuring information security, the risks involved, and how to protect yourself from any problems? Read on!
Importance of ensuring information security in companies
According to the Brazilian Standard ISO / IEC 17799, information security in companies is the act of protecting information from various types of threats, guaranteeing the sustainability of the business by minimizing the risks involved and maximizing the return on investments made and other business opportunities.
The importance of properly storing a company’s data is directly related to the relevance of the information to a business.
This is because information can be conceptualized as one of the essential assets for the survival of the business since it can involve:
- a new project under development;
- personal data, such as phone and email from a team of professionals;
- access passwords, among others.
- As the corporate world is increasingly connected and technological tools are evolving at an alarming rate, the tendency is for data that is not adequately protected to be exposed to various risks.
It is worth remembering that information can exist in several forms: printed, stored electronically, such as in applications, e-mails, files on the computer, or in the form of dialogue, in a conversation.
Whatever the means chose to store this data, it is important to know that information security in companies is based on 4 pillars, being:
Therefore, when choosing the storage tool, make sure that it really ensures that this information is safe, away from risks, available for use when needed and that it cannot be modified without authorization or without need.
Risks that involve company information
In the physical world, an attack on a person, property, or company can happen through theft, extortion, vandalism, blackmail, fraud, exploitation, moral harassment, among other situations. Not to mention the actions related to nature. For example, a sudden power outage can burn your television.
The same can happen in digital media. A company has several important information to ensure that the business continues to function normally, ensuring its growth and sustainability.
Storing this large amount of data through technology is the smartest alternative. However, prevention is needed.
In the same way that a hacker can break into the system and steal a project under development, a storm or fire can damage physical files or an entire computer network.
The result cannot be different: financial loss, loss of important data, reduced competitive advantage, among other problems that no company wants to have.
After all, the watchword for every entrepreneur is to prosper, right? For this, it is necessary to adopt the right tools, which bring practicality safely.
Ways to ensure the security of organizational data
The same regulation that seeks to establish rules to ensure information security in companies reveals that this condition can be achieved through the implementation of appropriate techniques and controls, and states:
- policies established by the company itself to keep data safe and ensure its confidentiality;
- the adoption of security processes so that information is stored properly, for example, to prevent new ideas from being discussed in common messaging applications;
- composition of organizational structures and software and hardware functions conducive to secure data storage, such as constant updating of these drivers and effective access controls.
- ABNT also advises that these controls are, in addition to being established and implemented, constantly monitored, and analyzed. In other words, it is important to maintain a constant assessment of the processes adopted, whether in meetings or in reports.
The objective is to quickly identify problems, allowing them to be solved almost immediately, ensuring the integrity of the business. Therefore, the ideal is for information security to be worked together with company managers.
The importance of having a communication application to avoid risks.